Monday, November 3, 2008

Smoky-Spicy Sweet Potato Soup

Have I ever mentioned that I love Rachael Ray. She basically taught me how to cook via the Food Network, and how to be creative with food and ingredients. It's not that I didn't know how to boil water or anything;) I grew up in the kitchen baking and cooking recipes out of my moms Betty Crocker cookbook. I never really felt I was a great cook though. Don't get me wrong I could follow a recipe and it would turn out, but I never felt I could just throw something together with what I had in the cupboard or know what to do if I was missing an ingredient. Rachael has a simple way of putting together quick recipes which incorporate healthy ingredients for the most part. When I cook I figure the more veggies and fruit I can throw in the better. It's healthier and lighter that way, and you can eat more if you like. So when I find a recipe to try a lot of times I'll double the veggies or throw a little extra this or that in. It's a little easier to do that when you are cooking than when you are baking.Who doesn't want to eat great tasting food. Just because we want to eat healthy doesn't mean we can't enjoy the flavors and dishes we love!
Check out Smoky-Spicy Sweet Potato Soup it was in the October issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray. It has a nice kick to it, so if you aren't' a huge fan of spice go light on the chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. I on the other had love spicy stuff, and I only put one pepper in. So that gives you an idea of how spicy they are. I did not have bacon when I made it, but I did have bacon fat. So I used 1 tablespoon of bacon fat instead of 2. You can prob even cut that out if you like. I froze the leftovers and have a had some yummy quick lunches!

No comments: