Tuesday, November 4, 2008

cranberries


Cranberries are a great addition to many dishes especially during the fall and winter. The are more prevalent in the stores as soon as Thanksgiving nears. Of course they are always available in juice form and most the time you can buy canned cranberries. I like the fresh cranberries available in the produce section. Last year I made a yummy cranberry orange relish. 12 ounces of fresh cranberries, one orange chopped(whole including peel), 1/4 cup orange liqueur. Blended in a food processor to desired consistancy. The original recipe called for 1 cup of sugar. I don't recall how much I added last year, but you can do it to taste. I liked this relish or (fruit salad) so well I think it could double as a side dish and not just a topping.

One cup of raw cranberries has 46 calories and 5 grams of fiber. It's also a great source of Vitamins E, K, and C as well as manganese.

No comments: