Friday, November 28, 2008

Reflecting on Thanksgiving

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving yesterday! Ours was full of friends, fun and food. I am so thankful for all of God's blessings in my life especially my wonderful husband. I started to come to a realization a couple days before Thanksgiving, and now the day after I am reflecting back on how far I have come. Holidays used to cause me stress when it came to all the food. Not a bite could enter my mouth without it being analyzed for all it's nutritional content and then I would be worried that it was already making me fatter. I would tell myself I should have stuck to my diet better so that I was actually thin at this family gathering. Instead I was worried people we're looking down on me because I didn't need to eat that extra cookie. Here is how the transition started:
After getting in better shape and losing weight. I still got hung up on counting numbers, was afraid of magically gaining 15 pounds after one meal, and still kind of kept myself on a restrictive diet. I have always loved cooking and baking, but had a bad relationship when it came to eating.
Gradually over the past couple years as I've learned more and more ways to prepare healthy food. I've changed my tastes. Now I have always liked healthy food, but I didn't know there were so many options, and I've gotten away from many unhealthy choices. Learning to accept myself has helped me to cut down on the emotional eating too.
Eventually I've noticed that I definately stick to eating every 3-4 hours, choose healthy options and portion sizes, and exercise for pleasure instead of pain;) Even without trying after awhile this habit has helped slim me down a little more, and I was finally able to go wow I need to bump up my food. Because I finally raised my metabolism! Yay! My plan has changed to more of a maintenance one, and working out is to make me strong and keep me in shape.
Which brings me to Thanksgiving. This year I did not worry that I was going to look awful(well because I've worked hard to get where I am), I wasn't worried that people would care how much or little I ate, and I also did not worry about gaining weight as I enjoyed my turkey dinner. I've learned to listen to what my body is telling me and when it said you absoulutely can't eat another bit:) I didn't go back for more because this was the only day I can pig out. Nope I tell myself I don't need more right now. If I want more turkey and stuffing I can make it for dinner next week if I want too! Who says cranberry sauce is just a one day a year food!

No comments: