Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Let's hit 2009 running!

Is starting a running program part of your New Year's resolution? Maybe you have decided to run a 5k, 10k or Marathon! I know I have a few friends that are planning on running a race this year. One of my best friends and I are tentatively going to pick a half marathon at some point in time this year. Hopefully when travel expenses go down since we live on oppossite sides of the country from each other.
I don't know about you but I haven't gone for a run in quite awhile. It's actually enjoyable when I keep up with it and am able to comfortably keep up a nice pace. Key things that have changed my experience with running: Shoes! Everyone needs good running shoes. I went to a store that specializes in running shoes and I haven't gotten shin splints since then. It's amazing because I always hated running because I always got shin splints and my knees hurt. Also you need great music(optional) you can always listen to nature. I love my ipod and a great song keeps me motivated. Remember to be careful of traffic etc if you have headphones on. Maybe try running with one in and one out. If you want to start a running program check out EXRX and pick the running program of your choice. I'm going to start the half marathon Level 1. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Start slow to decrease your chance of injury and increase your chances of success! Best of luck and keep me posted on your progress.

1 comment:

Pilates Hottie said...

Well I did the first day. One mile it wasn't too bad. Just 34 degrees out and rainy, but I dressed warm enough:)